TransTerm 9B 'BASIC' Programmable Terminal
The TransTerm 9B 'BASIC' Terminal is a computer programmable in an
abbreviated version of the BASIC language (TTBASIC). Using it's flexible programming
resources, the terminal can be adapted to a wide variety of stand-alone applications, such
as data collection, activity tracking, event timing, and equipment control (optional
equipment may be required). The standard unit comes with a 2-line display, 75-key keypad,
serial port, time-of-day clock and 32K bytes (128K optional) of battery backed up
The basic interpreter operates in 3 modes:
1. DIRECT mode - Executes a TTBASIC statement immediately.
2. RUN mode - Executes a TTBASIC program downloaded to the TransTerm.
3. TERMINAL mode - Emulates a dumb terminal.
The interpreter recognizes a full set of functions and statements that
provide memory initialization, program control, and input/output of data. Each program
statement has a preceding integer line number. The statements are stored is ascending
order in the program memory.
- Twisted nematic liquid crystal technology with 2 lines of 40 character
- 96 ASCII characters (upper, lowercase, numerics and specials) with a
blinking box cursor symbol.
- 5x7 dot matrix 0.179" high x 0.124" wide (4.55mm x 3.15mm).
- TTBASIC PRINT and LOCATE commands are used to print characters on the
display and for cursor positioning.
- 72 hermetically sealed membrane key switches with Keyclick for audible
- Keyswitch travel: 0.006" 0.008", Typical with actuating
force: 48 ounces.
- Rated life: 10,000,000 cycles per switch element.
Most of the keys generate a single ASCII character defined by the keypad
legend. Any of these keys can be used by a RUNning program to perform a special task.
Other keys perform the following functions:
ON - Turns ON a battery powered unit.
OFF - Turns OFF a battery power unit.
STOP - Stops a RUNning program (RUN mode) and returns control to the
keyboard (DIRECT mode).
RUN - Executes a program in memory (RUN mode), if there is a program
SPACE - Generates the ASCII space code (CHR(32)).
DELETE - Deletes the last character entered.
ENTER - Generates the ASCII carriage return (CHR(13)) and terminates a
statement line or string input.
- 32K bytes (128K optional) used for both programs and data storage.
- The BIOS occupies the first 3K bytes of memory.
- User's BASIC program is stored next. The maximum program size is 64K
(multiple programs can be CHAINED to on the RAM disk).
- Data arrays are stored next, followed by the RAM disk which can hold
program files as well as data files, etc.
- The maximum number of files is 254, the maximum file length is 64K, and
the maximum number of records per file is 64K.
- The entire memory is maintained by a lithium battery when the unit is
turned off (3 to 5 year battery life).
- Standard: EIA RS232C compatible, Optional: EIA RS-422, with Serial
asynchronous full duplex ASCII coding.
- Data format: 1 start bit, 7 or 8 data bits, Optional parity (even, odd,
mark, space or none), 1 stop bit.
- Baud rates: 110, 150, 300, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19.2K
The serial port is used to upload/download programs and data files and
for data input/output under TTBASIC program control. Data is transferred as serial ASCII
characters. The TransTerm 9B has a 100byte serial input buffer and recognizes the
The RS-232 connection (DB-25F) connector. The RS-422 connection (DB25F
or RJ-45) Pin Signal Description DB25F* RJ-45 Signal Description
1 GND Ground 20 1 VDC+ +12 VDC Supply Input (Opt)
2 TD Transmit data Output 7 2 GND Ground
3 RD Receive data Input 23 3 DTD+ Transmit Data (+) Output
4 RTS Request to send Output 22 4 DTD- Transmit Data (-) Output
5 CTS Clear To Send 25 5 DRD+ Receive Data (+) Input
7 GND Ground 24 6 DRD- Receive Data (-) Input
20 VIN Power supply in (12 VDC) 1 7 GND Ground
21 8 VDC+ +12 VDC Supply Input (Opt)
* Pin #16 must be strapped to pin #3 for RS-422 communication via the
- 128K MEMORY option provides more space for programs and data.
- The BARCODE READER interface uses a Hewlett Packard wand interface (5 pin
DIN) to connect wand/pen type readers, handheld laser and CCD scanners, and barcode card
readers. Nine different barcode symbologies are supported including Code 39, UPC, EAN,
Code 128, Codabar, Interleave 2 of 5 etc.
- A MAGNETIC STRIPE CARD READER (MSCR) interface is available to attach a
MT-211 read-only head. The interface converts Track 2 data into ASCII under TTBASIC
program control (Track 1 reader also available).
- The optional AUXILIARY SERIAL PORT adds a bi-directional EIA RS-232C
(DB9F) serial port that can be used for I/O to an external device such a printer, modem,
scale etc, under TTBASIC program control.
- The TOUCH MEMORY READER option reads Touch-key ID tags which provide a
more durable identification alternative to bar coded badges.
- The RELAY OUTPUT option (either 2 or 4) can be added for program control
outputs to open a door, ring a bell, turn on a machine etc.
- The DISPLAY BACKLIGHT option illuminates the display for viewing in the
- The BATTERY POWER option installs Ni-Cad cells to power the unit for
portable operation. The power adapter is used as a battery charger.
This option could also be used to provide backup power during a power
- Various mounting BRACKETS and bases are available for mounting the
- A LOUDER beeper or L.E.D can be installed for operator feedback (vs. the
standard beeper) in noisy environments.
- A 220VAC power adapter is available in place of the standard 110VAC
- CUSTOM OVERLAYS can be provided for high volume re-sellers with special
needs, or the keypad can be customized using the standard
Windowed overlay along with a custom legend sheet.
A TTBASIC DEVELOPERS KIT is available for the IBM PC/AT or
compatible computers. Programs can be written, debugged, uploaded and downloaded from the
PC. The kit includes a cable and a diskette containing a utility program, documentation,
and sample TTBASIC programs and routines.
- Terminal consumption: 150 ma typical (various options will add to the
- Power comes from a power adapter for a 110120VAC (220240VAC adapter
- The unit can also be powered over the serial connector (12 VDC on pin #20
of the DB25F).
- Memory Battery backup: 3volt lithium (5 years life), Recommended:
3volt Panasonic BR2325
- Operating: 0ºC to 60ºC (32ºF to 140ºF); Humidity: 5 to 95% noncondensing
- Storage Temperature: -30ºC to 70ºC (-20ºF to 158ºF); Humidity: 0 to 100%
Size & Weight (options will effect weight)
- Length: 11.7" (29.7 cm), Width: 8.8" (22.3 cm), Height:
1.75" (4.4 cm), Weight: 2.66 lbs. (1203 grams).